US PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP NOMINATED FOR NOBEL PEACE PRIZE 2021.
A member of the Norwegian parliament, namely Christian Tybring-Gjedde, nominated President Donald Trump for the 2021 Nobel Peace Prize.
● This marked Mr.Trump’s second nomination, the first one also being made by Mr.Christian Tybring-Gjedde.
● Previously,in 2018, the nomination cited Trumps’s efforts to reconcile North Korea and South Korea. He did not take the prize home, but Gjedde insists that Mr.Trump fits the criteria perfectly this time around!
● This year, the nomination was made on the basis of President Trump’s role in the recent peace deal between Israel and The United Arab Emirates.
● Gjedde told Fox News that he was not a big Trump supporter, but he believes that Trump has done more to create peace than any other nominee. Adding onto that, he also stated that the committee should judge him on the facts; not his behaviour.
● The news of President Trump’s nomination spread like wildfire, and was met with a consistent amount of backlash on social media. Following the release of said news reports, apart from the negative response and memes, multiple videos of President Trump’s statements on the Nobel Prize went viral.
● Clips of the President stating that the Nobel Prizes were given out unfairly have been making their rounds on social media.
● If, Mr. Trump wins the Nobel Prize, he would be the 5th American President to have won it, following Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, Jimmy Carter and more recently, Barack Obama.
● Citizens seem quite miffed about the entire ordeal, seeing as Mr. Trump’s nomination is certainly not the only controversial one that the country has had to witness.
● Former U.S President Barack Obama was nominated for the Nobel Prize soon after he was elected as President, which caused wide uproar amongst citizens, politicians and lawmakers alike. Obama supporters themselves didn’t think he was worthy of the prize, because they believed at that point, his impact on the country wasn’t too much
Reporter: Maahi Shah