Trump's New Law Against China
• The United States Senate almost unanimously voted on a new bill in relation to the oppression of the Chinese ethnic group of Muslims called ‘Uighur’
• President Donald Trump on Thursday signed the bill making it a law which could potentially call for sanctions against those responsible for the repression of Uighur Muslims in China's far western region of Xinjiang, the White House said in a statement.
• The new Uighur Human Rights Policy Act, which passed the Senate and House almost unanimously, drew an aggravating response from Beijing on Thursday, "We again urge the US side to immediately correct its mistakes and stop using this Xinjiang-related law to harm China's interests and interfere in China's internal affairs, otherwise, China will resolutely take countermeasures, and all the consequences arising therefrom must be fully borne by the United States." the ministry said in a statement
• The United Nations estimates that more than one million Muslims have been detained in camps in Xinjiang that China claims to be vocational skill training centres and necessary to tackle extremism but US Intelligence suggests otherwise.
• President Trump also issued a "signing statement" alongside the law, saying that “ Some of the sanctions' requirements might limit his constitutional authority as president to conduct diplomacy so he would regard them as advisory rather than mandatory “
• The World Uyghur Congress, one of the main Uighur exile groups, welcomed Trump's move of signing the bill making it law, saying "it gave hope to the desperate Uighur people."
• Is this bold move by the Trump administration a daring one? Will China retaliate aggressively and most importantly will they admit to the accusations made by the US? Only time has the answers to this
Reporter : Manish JS